Monday, January 7, 2008

Meeting a hero

As I was growing up, several Olympians had a profound impact on my life. One of those athletes was Josh Davis, a multiple gold medalist in swimming. While there were multiple other athletes I looked up to, Josh was my biggest inspiration when I was young.


In 1994, at the age of 15, I first met Josh when he came through Colorado with Athletes in Action, a Christian sports club which Josh has represented for years. Josh took the time to talk to my swim team while he was out here. I was very impressed with Josh and have looked up to him ever since.


Last week, Josh stopped by the Olympic Training Center with a kid he has been working with. Josh and his athlete jumped in with me and did one one of my sets. It was impressive to see how fast Josh still swims, but more impressive to see what a man of character he is. After practice, I told Josh that I still remembered when he came and talked to my team and that he had inspired me so much with his life story. It was truly an honor to meet up with this swimming legend again. He is a true American hero and I am proud to have had the chance to meet him.

For more informaton on Josh Davis, check out his website at http://www.joshdavis.com/.

1 comment:

Vinni Oliveira said...

Hi Eli,
I didnt know to much about you before we meet here at ECI. So after that Michael told me a little bit about your achievements. They`re impressive. Now that Im trying to be a Pentathlete, you`re the one who I`ll get as a model and inspiration. As you do, I aslo have a hero at swimming. It`s Michael Phelps wich I really wish I could meet soon. Anyway, I wish all the best for you and team USA in Beijing!
-Vinnie.