Sunday, January 20, 2008

Life after the Olympics

It really is amazing how fast time flies. It has been 6 months since I qualified for the Olympics and only 7 months until I compete. One of the most common questions I get from people is “What are you doing after the Olympics?”.

Between now and August 21st, my focus is on having the best performance of my life in Beijing. That is highly consuming of my thoughts and actions, but I am getting ready for life after sports. I separated from the Air Force in September due to force reductions, but the Air Force is planning on having me return to Active Duty to represent them at the Olympics. While I am extremely excited about the prospect of again representing the Air Force, it would be a purely temporary arrangement and would end following the Olympics. So we can probably write off a career in the Air Force for now. There is a chance that I will follow in the footsteps of my friend and former teammate, Olympian Chad Senior, and try out for Air Force Pararescue in the Reserves.

My first choice for post-Olympic jobs is a program called the White House Fellows. This is a highly competitive and prestigious program that gives a handful of individuals in depth exposure and experience in national government operations. Of the approximately 1000 applicants, only around 15 are selected each year for Fellowship. The program starts the 1st of September and runs until the 31st of August the following year. In a nutshell, the application process is extremely difficult involving essays, letters of recommendation, and two in depth interviews before selection. You have to survive 3 cuts over 4 months to be selected for fellowship. I have been working with a number of former Fellows who are helping me navigate the process and prepare the best I can.

No comments: