Friday, March 27, 2009

Trial run/shoot

The title reminds me of a Wheel of Fortune before and after phrase. But believe me, today's new combined event was no gameshow, though some may count it as entertainment!

Today we did the combined run/shoot. I honestly had no idea how it would go since I had never done it. I started in 13th place and needed to stay in the top 18 to make the final. The first set of shooting was okay. I think I moved down a couple slots, but nothing too bad. The second round of shooting was a lot rougher. I timed out (went over 70 seconds) and that was a bit disconcerting. I could tell I had fallen pretty far back as I headed out on the second 1000m run. When we entered the third round of shooting, I knew I would have to lay it all on the line in an attempt to make the final. So I decided to take some risk, which ultimately paid off. I shot a lot faster and made it out of the shooting box in 17th place. The last 1000 meter run was a total fight to hold my position. Running at 7500 ft and with extreme pollution is not fun. In the end, I crossed the finish line in 17th place, earning a slot in tomorrow’s final. We’ll see how things go the second go around...stay tuned for updates tomorrow and I promise they'll be more exciting than this late-night rudimentary recap.

No comments: