Sunday, July 27, 2008

Drugs and Money (Part 2 of 2)

There is an old saying that when you get together with family, you should not talk about religion or politics. In sports, it’s a little different; the taboo topics seem to be drugs and money. People want to know how drugs impact elite sports and how “amateur athletes” can afford the high cost of training (a few blogs ago I described how it costs about $200 per day to train, not including the opportunity costs of not working a regular job). Every time I talk to a group about the Olympics, I know someone wants to ask. Occasionally a brave soul has the courage to bring up one of these topics and is usually met with stern looks and embarrassment by the rest of the group. Because it seems to be a common theme of interest, I finally decided that it would make for a good blog. In part one, I addressed what I call the big elephant—drugs. Now for part two…

Recently I was talking to a community group about the Olympics. One individual raised his hand and asked a question about the Olympics and “professional” athletes. I assumed he was talking about basketball players who take a hiatus from the substantial salaries of club teams before donning the Team USA uniform at the Olympics. I told him that I believed if those athletes proudly represented their country with the pride and character expected of Team USA, they were a welcome addition. But in this case, the individual did not get the answer he wanted. After I answered several other questions, he again raised his hand and went on a minute long diatribe on how athletes should not be allowed to make money on sports and how doing so wrecked the essence of the Olympics. Honestly, I found it a bit insulting that this individual was suggesting that on top of the 10-12 hour days I put in, I should have another job and should not be allowed to seek corporate partners to support my dream of representing the USA in the Olympics. Despite this, I tactfully informed him that reason I was able to speak to his group for free, speak to over 5000 school kids last year, and hand out free trading cards was because my sponsors support and expect me to conduct public relations work.

Many people who come through the Olympic Training Center think athletes make small fortunes from prize money and endorsements. Furthermore, it is often assumed that the government subsidizes the Olympic Committee (the USOC actually receives no government subsidy and is funded only by corporate sponsorship). In reality, Olympic sports pay virtually nothing. A typical weightlifter of Olympic caliber might make $10,000 per year. Our top shooters (those who are ranked in the top 3 in the world) bring in around $25,000 per year in salary and prize money. For athletes just emerging on the national and international scene, few, if any, make money off their sports. A typical emerging triathlete might make $20,000-$30,000 per year in sponsorships and prize money and spend almost the same flying around the world to compete. Athletes with high visibility will make more money and a few of the top athletes like Michael Phelps score major endorsement deals, but most athletes make nothing more than the cost of training and competition. Small donor sponsors, including hometown family and friends, often subsidize the Olympic dreams of athletes. In my case, I have been fortunate enough to have the Air Force as my biggest supporter because I am an Air Force Officer (now in the Reserves). They help pay the bills and make it possible for me to train 6 days a week to be ready to compete against the best athletes in the world.

The question of “professionalism” still bothers some people, like the gentleman I mentioned earlier, even when they learn how little athletes make. I believe that allowing athletes to seek and retain sponsorships and endorsements is good for the Olympics. The main difference between “professional” Olympians and “professional” athletes from other sports is where they get their money. While a major league sports player earns his salary from the team, Olympians get money almost exclusively through endorsements. This requires athletes to be personable, professional, and presentable to the public. Because of this, most of the high dollar Olympians are exceptionally nice people who are excellent at sharing their Olympic Dream with others.

In most cases, Olympic athletes compete to represent the USA because we love what we do. Many athletes would make more money working minimum wage jobs, but the privilege of competing for your nation at the Olympics is really the best payment of all.

1 comment:

Lyla said...

Very well put...thanks for the info!